Friday, September 11, 2009
The godsend for any Asian girl is a good lengthening mascara that will hold a curl/crimp really well. I have many times talked about my Holy Grail of Imju Fiberwig, the best selling mascara in Japan for a reason! I have blogged about it here and here.
Now, I am very picky about how I apply my mascara...big surprise, I know.
1. Only apply eyeliner on the top lid before putting on mascara if it is gel or liquid and has had ample time to dry completely!
2. Get a really good curler...it makes a huge difference. I myself prefer the famous Shu Uemura, but I've heard many Asian girls rave about Shiseido's curler.
3. If you have really stubborn, straight lashes, heat your curler with your blow dryer on low for 5-10 seconds before using it.
4. Getting as close to the base of the lashes as possible, firmly crimp in only one spot. If you have short, straight lashes, IGNORE EVERYTHING YOU'VE EVER HEARD ABOUT CURLING IN THREE DIFFERENT SPOTS. THIS WILL NOT WORK FOR YOU.
5. Quickly apply the Fiberwig, wiggling slightly at the base of the lash and using the end of the wand to add fibers onto the ends of the lashes. (I need to do a pictorial of this, but am too lazy right now and am waiting for the US Open to continue after the all day rain delay.)
6. At this point, if you are using a pencil liner (preferably over an eyelid primer such as Urban Decay Primer Potion.), use a firm/flat brush to wriggle it into the base of the lashes and extend up as high as you want the line to go.
7. Wait for the amazing mascara to dry and crimp the eyelashes again with the curler. My short, stubby lashes stand straight up ALL day. I keep a cheapy Revlon curler in my car to do on my way somewhere.
As for liner, Sona is already incredibly and naturally beautiful (as well as being the mother of three adorably girly girls.) I have read Lucy rave about a simple neutral eye color and a crisp line of liquid liner.
I would suggest Urban Decay Primer Potion in Sin. I've written about it here.
Lastly, for more Asian tips, check out this blog:
My Makeup Blog - Lucy Liu
My Makeup Blog - Monolid